Tuesday, May 18, 2010

One for the Zipper. . .




The news of Mr. Zippy's gentle, but sad, demise hit me hard. We found out that our friend Jim had to part with his beloved cocker spaniel "partner in crime" of 12 years via Facebook as we were driving east on the NY State Thruway headed toward my Dad's. I turned from my iPhone to Andrew and said quietly "Mr. Zippy's gone" . . . and then the tears started coming. . .and coming. . .and coming. . . 50 miles later there were still full body sobs and Andrew and my own pups Sophie and the (newly renamed) Stanley sitting in the back seat were all looking at me with concern.

Now this might seem weird, considering I never met the Zip. But I felt like I knew him nonetheless and sure did know of his relationship with Jim through the numerous pictures and stories about him Jim lovingly shared with us. As dog lovers to dog lover we could relate. And having just put down our beloved lab George last year, I knew what Jim was going through. Oh its so sad and so tough. . .

But I also knew the tears were more. . . Four months of holding my emotions in had just abruptly come to an end. Crying about Mr. Zippy was o.k. --- and the big dam of propriety and holding onself together that had been firmly in place for so long had crumbled.

And I think that was a good thing.

I came out on the other side of it about an hour later with that heightened sense of that makes you especially appreciate the present tense and everything going on in it ---Andrew feeling chipper enough to drive the 3 hour trip and looking good; a gorgeous day; the love of my own pets, my husband and my father now a 1/2 hour away; a break from work---- I rolled down the windows of the car and let my dogs put their heads out in the wind --- ears flapping, noses up--- it was a doggie 21 gun salute for Mr. Zip and a simple reminder of what unqualifed joy and delight looks and feels like!


That's the image I'm going to keep in my mind as we take a six-week vacation from this cancer process. Twelve weeks of grueling treatment is now done! And we don't have to do anything medically related until after July 6 when Andrew will be retested to see how well the treament worked. I am happy to report that he has bounced back amazingly in the past week since his last round of chemo. . . . far better than the time before this. He's looking a little leaner, his hair is a little thinner and swallowing is still tough, but the energy and stamina are back, and when you see him he'll have a hard time believing he's been through what he's been through. It gave us both a great sense of relief as we left the hospital for the last time on Wednesday after he got his feeding tube removed. (Andrew convinced the doctor's this was necessary for full beach enjoyment). Leaving it behind for awhile sure feels great!

So this update is going to be short, because we got some relaxing to do! Goodbye hospitals, doctors, chemo, radiation and hello Richmond, Ocracoke, Seneca Rocks, beach, mountains, fishing, climbing and just being. Look for us as we make our tour of the South in the next few weeks and help us celebrate! Richmond friends we'll be there on June 10 -12 and back again two weeks later on the 28-30. Look for Andrew at the Penny Lane Pub on the 11th watching the England vs. US in the soccer World Cup. We go from there to Ocracoke from June 12 - 27, and then back to Richmond briefly, and then on to Seneca Rocks from June 30 through July 6. Seneca friends who are now scattered all over the place I hope so much we can see you there!
So bye for now. . .I got a margarita I've got to go drink--to honor this beautiful day, my friend's Zeke's birthday, getting this far, feeling this good, and especially Jim and Mr. Zippy. . . .







1 comment:

  1. Lucinda and Andrew,

    As I re-read your beautiful and amazing words I am filled with the joy and uplifting spirit that your blog transmits. Words are incapable of describing the overwhelming bundle of emotions that have been part of my last 24 hours without my dog. I will deal with the empty dog bed, uneaten food and newly unused leashes...very sad. Your words are so powerful and comforting that a simple thank you seems like nothing. I am thrilled in knowing that Zip received such a tribute from his K9 buddies in Syracuse. Please hug those two furry critters one time for the Zip, and embrace Andrew for being so strong, and understand how powerful your words have been to comfort me in this really difficult time. I will always cherish the friendship and compassion that is the cornerstone of both of you. I love you guys.....Jim

    ReplyDelete